Health and Welfare Benefits Manager
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
While some people can see only the path in front of them, you're looking for routes that no one's ever taken. So go on - use your imagination to completely change the auto industry.
Description of Position:
Manage benefit carriers, vendors and third party administrators to meet the business needs and implement strategies that are both cost effective and that deliver the highest quality to participants. Ensure ERISA program compliance with carriers and vendors. Lead role in benefit compliance and regulatory filings and plan language changes.
This position reports to the Director of Benefits and works closely with carriers, vendors, external consultants and legal firms. This position also interacts closely with AutoNation’s legal department to ensure benefits compliance as well as developing administrative policies and guidelines for application with the carriers, vendors and third party administrators.
- Manage and monitor health and welfare vendors’ compliance to the contract provisions and performance guarantees negotiated. Lead responsibility for drafting or reviewing new contract provisions with vendors to ensure compliance with plan language resulting in legal risk reduction to AutoNation.
- Analyze benefit programs and carrier products to develop business plan recommendations resulting in design changes that meet company business needs. Implement strategies that are both cost effective and that deliver the highest quality to associates.
- Negotiate renewals with vendors within the department budget projections.
- Lead role in managing the benefit plan wellness program initiatives, performance and result measurements.
- Lead and direct communication vendor in creating and developing impactful employee communications. Measure effectiveness of communications and develop recommendations for innovative ways to reach participants.
- Lead role in writing technical plan documents, SPD language, administrative and training manuals and oversight of production of such documents.
- Support role in validation, completion of and data submission for government filings such as 5500s.
- Responsible for all compliance filings on behalf of the benefits department for respective vendors assigned, including DOL inquiries, etc.
- Research and respond to second level ERISA appeals related to self-insured business lines and wellness programs.
- Support in development of requests for proposals, evaluate and assist in the selection of vendors, carriers, and insurers.
- Lead role in developing benefit communications for managers and HR.
- Provide functional and administrative expertise and training to the Benefits Administration Manager and outsourced benefits administration vendor for new program implementation, policy and provision changes, related to assigned vendors.
- Five years of benefits experience.
- Strong project management experience.
- Experience with laws, regulations and government policy related to Health and Welfare benefit programs.
- Strong financial acumen.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, writing and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in utilizing MS Office software—MS Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Willingness to travel up to 15%.
- Ability to perform in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, Business Administration or a related field.
- Seven to ten years’ experience in managing health and welfare benefit programs.
- CEBS or other benefits accreditation.
- Strong negotiation and marketing skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Experience in acquisition due diligence and divestitures
- Experience in writing Summary Plan Descriptions (SPD’s).
Next Possible Position:
Ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those specifically presented.
Medical & cancer insurance
Choose from several plan providers, such as Blue Cross Blue Shield, or other additional full insured options. In addition, we have company paid cancer insurance.
Visit the dentist and receive preventive and diagnostic services at little or no cost.
Flexible spending accounts
Contribute up to $2,550 in tax-free funds in our optional health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts.
Save hundreds of dollars off your insurance premiums by taking a free biometric screening provided by AutoNation.
Basic life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance
Provided by AutoNation at no cost to you.
Continue receiving a source of income if you are unable to work because of illness, pregnancy or non-job-related injury.